Yikes! Do I have a problem! Here’s my want list for this month’s Previews so far:
- BPRD: The Dead (Dark Horse)
- DC’s Greatest Imaginary Stories TPB (DC)
- Astro City: The Dark Age #3 (DC)
- Tom Strong #34 (DC)
- Dusty Star #1 (Image)
- Ferro City #1 (Image)
- Rex Libris #1 (Slave Labor)
- Chronicles of the Universe vol 1 (Anatarctic)
- Shaolin Cowboy #5 (Burlyman)
- Borderline vol 1 (D.E.)
- Or Else #3 (D&Q)
- Art School Confidential (D&Q)
- Bone Sharps, Cowboys, and Thunder Lizards (GT Labs)
- Knights of the Dinner Table #106 (Kenzer)
- KODT: Tales from the Vault vol 5 (Kenzer)
- Dungeon: The Early Years vol 1 (NBM)
- Alison Dare, Little Miss Adventures vol 2 (Oni)
- Tricked GN (Top Shelf)
- World War 3 Illustrated #36 (Top Shelf)
- Fortean Times #201 (Magazine)
As you can imagine, that’s way over my budget! (It doubles it.) So I gotta chop that bad boy down. Let’s talk about some of the items there.
DC’s Greatest Imaginary Stories TPB looks to be great fun, but I can’t help but think that $5 worth of silver age books from a quarter bin would give the same amount of joy. It’s definitely on the chopping block.
Dusty Star and Ferro City I think I’ve both read before, when they were called Daisy Kutter and Electropolis. They’re Image books, which means if they’re even remotely good they’ll be collected into a trade sooner or later, possibly even with extra material, such as, say, the conclusion of the story. Yes, I’m still bitter about Amazing Joy Buzzards and it’s really killed my enthusiasm for picking up Image singles.
Chronicles of the Universe is also quite iffy. I really like Rod Espinosa’s Courageous Princess and Neotopia, but I’m not sure I need to dive into another one of his Amerimanga offerings. Anyone know anything about this?
Borderline vol 1 is one of those “this was a smash hit in another country and now it’s available in the US!” books. I like me some post-apocalypticness, but I don’t know anything about this. Is it worth my cash?
Bone Sharps, Cowboys, and Thunder Lizards. I enjoyed the FCBD preview of this, and would like to read it, but it’s way too pricey for me. This looks like a library read, like the other GT Labs books I’ve read.
Tricked is something I’m very excited about! I loved Alex Robinson’s Box Office Poison and have been eagerly awaiting his next book. I’m glad it’s coming out straight as a GN. I think this is going to be a really good read, and I highly recommend Box Office Poison, resolicited here.
All right, so once again, I’m looking to you folks for advice. What can go? What should stay? What have I overlooked that isn’t on this list? The fate of a comics order lies in your hands!