Monday began Modern Myths’ hugelarge three-for-a-buck back issue sale! I was one of the many people there combing through longboxes in search of buried treasure.
It was weird to see some of the things there. I remember just before the great speculation bust of the early 90s, when Valiant comics were hotter than supernovas. Sadly, you could get practically the entire output of the company this weekend for 33 cents an issue.
I wasn’t expecting to see much there that interested me, but ultimately I ended up with a pretty good haul. I thought about picking up some of the Perez/Wolfman Teen Titans books and Firestorm books I loved when I was a kid (and stupidly got rid of) but decided against it. Here are the 60 books I eventually walked out with:
- Judge Dredd #1-30. Because I loves me some cheap Judge Dredds. Who doesn’t?
- 2000 AD Monthly #1-6. See above. Also, these contain other 2000 AD characters.
- Myth Adventures #8-12, Myth Conceptions #1-5. I have the earlier issues of the former series and none of the latter, so this was a good opportunity to grab these.
- Star Wars: The Jabba Tape. I don’t really care for most of the Dark Horse Star Wars stuff, finding it to be largely uninteresting and based too much on the goofy novels. But for a third of a buck per pop, why not grab some?
- SW: Bounty Hunters: Scoundrel’s Wages
- SW: Jedi Academy: Leviathan #1, 2, 4. I knew I had issue 3 and one other of this 4-part series, but I couldn’t remember which other one, so I grabbed all the others.
- SW: Bounty Hunters: Kenix Kil
- SW: Bounty Hunters: Aurra Sing
- Green Lantern 80-pg Giant. I love me some Green Lantern and some 80-page Giant.
- World’s Best Comics Sampler. A DC Archives sampler.
- Bill and Ted’s Excellent Comic Book #4, 7. I know there’s a trade of these coming out soon, but this was a good chance to check out some Evan Dorkin stuff I hadn’t seen before. I’ve heard good things about it.
- Hopeless Savages FCBD. Yes! I bought a FREE comic for 33 cents! But what the hell, wanted to check it out.
- Noble Causes Family Secrets #1,2. A book I’ve heard good things about, so I decided to take a peek at it.
And the big score was…
- Captain Carrot and his Amazing Zoo Crew! #13. I’m one issue closer to having all of these again! This was one of two series that got me really into buying comics (the other was New Teen Titans) and I’ve been trying to replace them ever since I got rid of them. Sadly, there were no other issues to be had.
So a pretty good mix of stuff, all told. The sale continues through the month, so I might poke through the boxes again some time to see if I overlooked anything.