I’m in the middle of a big project in which I’m combining old stuff from my website, stuff currently on my computer, and stuff I have backed up onto CD/DVDs and seeing what of it I still want and what I can get rid of. It’s a tough task, because not only have I not done this sort of thing in ages, I am also a serious e-packrat.
The CDs and DVDs, featuring saved stuff that dates back to the early 90s (some of this stuff was originally backed up on QIC-80 tapes!) was full of delightful surprises. Among the wonders unearthed were:
- install disks for MS-DOS 5
- serial number for Quattro Pro for Windows (PA941A11386681)
- a CONFIG.SYS file for running Ultima 7
- the rec.music.rem FAQ (1 Apr 1994 revision)
- a copy of FRU2K15beta.exe from 2004, whatever the hell that is
- install for audiognome which I think was a Napster-like program? (also have Napster)
- drivers for printers I haven’t owned in over a decade
You get the idea. But I found a lot of genuine treasures here, such as items from the absolute earliest days of this site to old programs I wrote (it may be time for Namer for Mathematica or Namer for Python) to tons of images from long ago.
I’ve still got miles to go (I have over 1000 fonts to see if I need to keep, for example) but so far it’s been kind of fun sifting through all this old stuff. I’ll let you know of the 6 DVDs, 13 CDs, and gobs of stuff from my site and my computer, how big the final archive is.
In the meantime, here are some pictures I made for friends of mine: