We recently finished watching I, Claudius for, I think, the third time? If you’ve ever seen it, you know how amazing and wonderful it is.
If you haven’t, here is what you are missing:
- Playing “look who it is!” Prince Vultar from Flash Gordon is here, as well as Magenta from Rocky Horror, Brother Cadfael, Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam, Kane from Alien, Gimli, Jean-Luc Picard, and like a million minor Doctor Who characters.
- The oh-so-quotable dialogue: “I cured his cough.” “Quick as boiled asparagus!” “People really are despicable.”
- Lots of sex and violence!
- Hilarity. It is genuinely funny!
- Clau-Clau-Claudius himself. Derek Jacobi is wonderful!
If you like watching good teevee that is good, you owe it to yourself to watch this series. It’s honestly one of the best things I’ve ever seen on television.