After seeing yet another inaccurate straw-man portrayal of how an atheist thinks over on a blog somewhere, I decided to actually share with anyone who’s curious exactly how this atheist thinks. So I’m taking your questions, which you can leave in a comment here, and I’ll answer. I’m trying to avoid putting the strawman on the other foot, if I may mix metaphors, and only use questions that I think a legitimate believer might ask. Don’t be afraid you’re being “offensive” or whatever, I really don’t mind if it’ll help people understand my point of view.
The questions I already have planned are:
- How did you become an atheist?
- Why an atheist and not an agnostic?
- If you don’t believe in God, why have any morals at all? why not just do whatever you want?
- How can you be so certain, given how huge the universe is and how little mankind knows about it?
- How can you say this is all there is?
- Isn’t the atheist worldview depressing?
- Isn’t it better to believe in God and be wrong than to not believe and be wrong?
- Is there anything that could make you choose to believe?
Feel free to submit any others in the comments.