Another hugelarge comics ordering month, largely thanks to Fantagraphics putting out all kindsa Love and Rockets stuff. As usual, recommendations on stuff to get or not get are begged for. Which of these can I pass on and what have I overlooked? I’m particularly interested in opinions/info regarding the ones with asterisks in front of them.
- Concrete Vol 3: Fragile Creature (Dark Horse)
- Serenity TPB (Dark Horse)
- Showcase Presents: JLA Vol 1 (DC)
- Best of the Sprit TP (DC)
- Tom Strong #36 (DC)
- Tomorrow Stories Special #2 (DC)
- Jack Staff #11 (Image)
- * Skyscrapers of the Midwest #1 (AdHouse)
- Girl Genius vol 4 TPB (Airship)
- Paris #2 (Slave Labor)
- * Robotika #1 (Archaia)
- Doc Frankenstein #4 (Burlyman)
- Optic Nerve #9 (D&Q)
- Optic Nerve #10 (D&Q)
- Action Philosophers World Domination (Evil Twin)
- Ghost of Hoppers HC (Fantagraphics)
- Luba: Book of Ofelia TP (Fantagraphics)
- Meow Baby GN (Fantagraphics)
- Scott Pilgrim vol 3 (Oni)
- * Juror 13 vol 1 (Tokyopop)
- Fortean Times #205 (FT)
Two comments here. First of all, guess who isn’t happy? Guess who’s been buying Girl Genius since the beginning? Guess who ordered #14, which never came out, because they decided to switch to an online comic with periodic TPB releases? If you guessed “Abraham Lincoln” you are wrong, because the answer is: ME. And guess what issues that there $20 vol 4 tpb includes? That’s right, 11-14! Four issues, three of which I already own and one of which nobody owns! That’s crap, Foglios. You know damn well how many people are in the same boat as me, and asking us to re-buy three issues to get the fourth is crap.
My second comment refers to the book “Captain Bluebush”. Here’s the solicitation copy: “Captain Bluebush’s crew of nautical nymphos are desperate to have their decks swabbed by a man — any man! They capture a motley bunch of sailors to satisfy their naughty needs, but bull-dyke Bluebush orders castration, until the dread ‘Semen Monster’ rises from the deep! And wait’ll you see The Cocktopus!” This is followed by: “MATURE THEMES”. Can we come up with a different word for crap like this than “Mature”? Cause mature it ain’t.